This is a super easy recipe for veggie soup that is 100% vegan and only requires a little prep work, a crock pot and about 8 hours of waiting (and enjoying the aroma while it cooks).
Here's what I put in my crock pot:
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/2 to 3/4 head of cabbage, chopped *(or buy a package of pre-cut stir fry veggies that includes cabbage, as shown in photo)
- 6-8 carrots, sliced
- 10-12 Baby Dutch Gold Potatoes, cubed (any potatoes will work, but I love the way these cook down - if you do use larger potatoes, cut the quantity accordingly)
- 1 can stewed tomatoes
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- olive oil
- spices, seasoning, pepper to taste
Cut veggies and layer them in the crock pot. Drizzle olive oil as you go & sprinkle seasonings, pepper, spices atop the oil. Mix together so it starts blending nicely. Add can of stewed tomatoes, veggie broth and water.
**I usually add more water as the day progresses and it cooks down (depends on how thick you want it).
Cook on high for 7-8 hours or until veggies are soft to your liking (I keep my crock pot on the high/4 hour setting all day. It clicks off at 4 hours & I turn it back to the 4 hour mark at that time).
Serve with bread or biscuits. Biscuits shown were easily made with Bisquick (which is vegan) just use soy milk instead of cow's milk to keep it that way.